Not carrying out a flat roof condition survey can have significant consequences for property owners and occupants. Flat roofs are prone to certain issues and require timely inspections to ensure they remain watertight and prevent costly damages. Established in 1986, Thornton Consulting provides the UK and Ireland property sector with a highly professional analysis of the roof integrity carried out by their team of experienced field testers and specialist consultants. Here are some potential consequences of neglecting a flat roof condition survey:
- Damaged or breached waterproofing: Over time flat roofs can develop leaks, cracks, or other issues with the waterproof covering. Without an appropriate roof condition survey, these problems can go unnoticed and worsen over time, leading to significant damage to the roof’s integrity.
- Water damage and leaks: Flat roofs are more susceptible to water pooling and leaks compared to sloped roofs. Without a condition survey, small leaks can go undetected, allowing water to seep into the building’s interior. Water damage can lead to mould growth, rotting of the building materials, and damage to electrical systems, posing health risks to occupants and increasing repair costs.
- Increased energy costs: Flat roofs play a crucial role in insulation and energy efficiency. A damaged or poorly maintained roof can lead to heat loss during the colder months and increased heat absorption during hot seasons. This can result in higher energy consumption and increased utility bills as the heating and cooling systems work harder to compensate for the poor insulation.
- Decreased property value: Neglected flat roofs can significantly decrease the value of a property. Potential buyers or tenants may be discouraged by the potential costs and risks associated with repairing or replacing a damaged roof. A thorough and professional flat roof condition survey, with accompanying documentation of a well-maintained roof, adds value and provides assurance to interested parties.
- Safety hazards: Ignoring a flat roof condition survey poses safety risks for occupants and visitors. A deteriorating roof may not be able to support heavy loads, such as maintenance personnel or equipment, leading to accidents and injuries. Additionally, loose or damaged roof materials can become hazardous projectiles during severe weather events, endangering people and property nearby.
Investing in professional and scheduled assessments ensures the long-term durability and safety of the building. Thornton Consulting provides a comprehensive roof condition audit and leak detection service, including the inspection of newly installed waterproofing membranes to verify there are no defects prior to the final sign-off by the roofing contractor. Call us today on 01342 410508 or, if preferred, use the contact form.